Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Problem: The Self-Absorption of the American People

I was on the way to my folks' the other day, and ended up behind the largest SUV I've ever seen while sitting at a stoplight. There I was in my teeny little Civic, hoping to be able to see the light turn green through the Escalade's windshield, when my brain finally registered the bumper stickers on the car in front of me.

First, a disclaimer: This country is great because we have the freedom to speak our minds, however empty they may be, or however stupid the thoughts that flow from them. That said, perhaps we should be a bit more aware of how we appear to other people and instead of claiming not to care what others think, attempt to better our images...and even ourselves.

So the first bumper sticker I see is as follows: “Some days all I want to be is a missing person.” I think to myself, Dear Lord, please don't let that person be a parent, because as much as I sometimes feel that way, for the sake of my children who love me and would be devastated if they knew I felt that way, I don't say it. And I hope the individual in front of my had no one to devastate with that comment. Also, if this individual was having that much trouble dealing with life, why on earth would they want to share that with the general populace? Sympathy? Empathy? And what a terribly self-absorbed sentiment; this individual wants nothing more on certain days that to abdicate responsibility to those around him or her. Charming.

Perhaps you have seen the offense little anime bunny with all the awful things to say. If you haven't, congrats on escaping it, but if you have, you'll know the image that decorated bumper stickers two and three. Bumper sticker number two: “Let’s focus on me.” Wow, if the first sticker didn't point out how self-absorbed this individual is, this sticker just plain states it. Pardon me while I scrunch me nose and sigh with disgust. The only people I know with this attitude that I choose to spend time with are my two year-old and nine week-old, the nine week-old because she doesn't know better, and the two year-old because, well, he's two. But you have to be at least 16 to get a driver's license, so...where's this person's excuse?

The third bumper sticker was even better...or not, as it were: “I’m not spoiled. I deserve all my stuff.” Really? According to the Cadillac website, the 2007 Escalade STARTS at $55,400. You DESERVE a $55,000 dollar vehicle? On what grounds? What does a person have to do to deserve such a vehicle? Raise two children to adulthood with a set of values and a love of education? Send ten hardened criminals to jail for life? Donate the balance of their income to the American Red Cross? Serve a five-year term with the Merchant Marines? Sacrifice a loved one to war? What merits DESERVING a ridiculously expensive vehicle? The fact that one makes enough money to afford it? It boggles my mind that the individual in possession of such a bumper sticker is not embarrassed to be so. Worse than that, I am embarrassed for this person. Horribly so.

The last bumper sticker was the most priceless. Ready for it? You won't be. It was this: "God Bless America." Indeed. But in combination with the three other stickers, it exhibited a far different message than the customary meaning of "God Bless America." Instead, it infered that America was worth blessing because the person in the car in front of me was allowed to be a self-absorbed schmuck.

The problem is clear. The solution is even moreso. We as Americans need to focus less on ourselves and more on those around us. We need to be willing to serve, to sacrifice, and to silence our inner complaints before they escape from our mouths. My great grandparents didn't have the luxury of analysis, or the time to complain...they were too busy caring for their families and supporting one another to worry about themselves. What is wrong with us? We may not be able to fix others where this problem is concerned, but we can contribute to society our own beings...adjusted to be less self-absorbed, and more family-and-community oriented. This solution is individual and internal, but every bit as important to solving the world's problems as ending pollution or ridding the world of dictators. After all, don't we have things like pollution and dictators because of extreme self-absorption? Fix yourselves, and set an example for others. It's difficult and it sucks and it requires constant vigilence and course corrections, but it's so much more worth it and looks so much better than driving an Escalade with a "Let's Focus On Me" bunny sticker. Problem solved.

Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the note of how ridiculous people can be...
When we were living in San Diego, our apartment was only $700 a month. It was pretty decent for the ridiculously low price, but definately no beverly hills. What I couldn't comprehend in the slightest way is why anyone living in our complex would shell out a wad of cash for a pimped out black escalade complete with gold, spinning rims!!! Talk about not having any priorties. I found it terribly annoying to behold every day.

-MaryBeth