Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Recanting on Morning-After

First and foremost, it's been some months since I took the opportunity to review the worlds' problems; forgive me, I've been busy being a Mommy.

That said, even Mommies make mistakes. I recently had cause to do some research into the morning-after pill, thanks to a grumpy rhetorical question I posed a pharmacist while filling a prescription for one of my children. It seems I was wrong.

The morning-after pill is NOT an "abortion" pill; it does not eject a forming fetus from the uterus or break down a fertilized egg. Instead, it is meant to be taken immediately after sex, (or within 24 hours,) and only prevents an egg from being fertilized in the first place. There are, indeed, abortion-type drugs available, but not yet in the United States, thank heavens. Instead, much like birth control, the morning-after pill is a preventative measure for the woman who perhaps was being responsible and whose condom failed, or for those who still wish to take responsibility for their actions by not creating a baby in the first place.

It would be far better, admittedly, to have been on birth control from the start, or (above all) to abstain from sexual activity until the woman is in a secure, married relationship, but life is seldom idyllic; the reality is there are women who will have sex when and with whom they wish, regardless of the consequences. I personally would much rather have a woman prevent a pregnancy than terminate one, so though I myself will stick to birth control, if a woman wishes to take responsibility and spend $40 to make certain that no baby is had (and therefore cannot be terminated), I support their decision to take preventative (rather than destructive) measures, as should we all.

Problem re-reviewed and solved,
Mommy